Main Content

I have a CDL, is there anything special I need to know?

Yes, per recently effective (July 1, 2015) federal standards for CDL holders, you will be required to show legal proof of residence and domicile upon the initial issuance, renewal, transfer, or upgrade of your CDL. Please see the document HERE for more information. 

How much does it cost?

All of the courses are free of charge but do require a $20 refundable deposit to guarantee your seat in a class. If you do not wish to make the $20 deposit you may elect to be a "walk-in" and simply show up for a course at the scheduled time and location and if there are seats available they will be given away on a first come first serve basis.

Which class should I take?

In order to determine which class you should take you have to first identify your objectives. What do you want to get out of the class? If you want a license waiver or have limited to no riding experience then you should consider only the BRC or BRC 2 as those are the only ones that provide a waiver and are also the most basic. If you own your own motorcycle and already have your license, then the ARC is probably the best fit for you. If you own a scooter and want to ride it during the class, that is allowed, but with some restrictions.

Am I eligible to take the class?

You must be at least 16 years of age, (18 for BRC 2) be either a temporary or permanent resident of Illinois, and possess a valid learners permit or license for some form of motor vehicle. For riders with at least a year of riding experience that have their own motorcycle and hold a valid motorcycle license, we also offer Advanced Rider Courses (ARC).

What if I have a special need?

Individuals with disabilities are asked to contact us prior to registering at (618) 453-2877 for information about special accommodations.

What do I need to bring to the class?

You will need to bring a copy of your valid driver's license as well as your protective clothing that includes the following:

  • Helmet - provided or you may use your own (IDOT approved) (3/4 or full face for BRC and BRC 2)
  • Footwear - sturdy and over the ankle (Not cloth or canvas)
  • Long Pants - denim or heavy material
  • Gloves - full fingered, leather preferred
  • Long Sleeved Jacket or Shirt - wrist length of denim or heavy material
  • Eye Protection - sunglasses or prescription lenses for your convenience

Do I need a motorcycle?

BRC, BRC 2: No, our program provides motorcycles, helmets, and professional instruction.

ARC, TRC: Yes, you will need to provide your own motorcycle/trike for the course.

What if I don't show up for class or I'm late?

A walk-in student will be admitted to class in your place and you will lose your deposit. This is very important. Because demand for the classes is high, punctuality is required. If you are late for any reason, you will forfeit your seat in the class as well as your deposit.

Do I get a motorcycle license when I'm done with class?

Those who are 18 and over, who successfully complete the BRC or BRC 2 will be issued a completion card by mail that will waive both the written and riding tests at the Secretary of State's office. Those who are 16 and 17 years of age, who successfully complete a BRC will be issued a completion card by mail that will allow them to apply for an M class license at the Secretary of State's office. You still must go to the Secretary of State's office to get your license.

What kinds of things are covered in the classes?

Basic riding skills like starting, stopping, turning, and shifting. Strategies for street riding. Advanced techniques in turning, braking, and swerving. The curriculum that is used is one that was developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and more information about it can be found on their website.

What if I'm not really interested in buying a motorcycle?

Non-motorcyclists can benefit from these courses by learning on a first-hand basis what a motorcyclist experiences and the necessity for developing respect for all vehicles on the highway.

How long are the classes?

The BRC consists of 20 hours of instruction, usually 6-9:30pm Friday, 8am-6pm Saturday and Sunday. The BRC 2 consists of approximately 11 hours of instruction, usually 1 1/2 days.
The ARC/TRC consists of 8 hours of instruction, usually 9am-6pm.

What if it rains?

Our classes meet rain or shine, so if it rains bring rain gear. If there is lightning nearby or other weather that represents a safety risk the instructors may make the decision to cancel class or modify the schedule somewhat. If class is cancelled, the student will have the option of transferring to the next available class, or getting a refund of their deposit.

What if I am not able to register online with a credit card?

Please contact our office at (800) 642-9589 to have a registration form sent by mail or you can print one by clicking here. You will then need to fill out the form completely and return it with a check for $20.00 per registration to: Motorcycle Rider Program Mail Code 6731 Southern Illinois University 1435 Douglas Drive Carbondale, IL 62901.

Where is the course that is closest to me? (Meeting location is typical, but may change from time-to-time. Please verify by calling our office.)

Map of Illinois northern illinois university University of Illinois region Cook County region eligibility and registration for siuc region

QRA=Quincy Regional Airport - 1645 Illinois 104 Classes meet in the conference room 
JHS=Jacksonville High School1211 N. Diamond St. Jacksonville, IL. 62650 Classes meet in room 726 at the northwest corner of the High School
LCC=Lewis and Clark Community College - 5800 Godfrey Rd. Godfrey Il Classes meet in the Math Building room MA107
LIT=Litchfield Armory - 1617 N. Jefferson St. Litchfield, IL. Classes meet in the armory classroom.
SIE=Southern Illinois University Edwardsville - 1 Hairpin Dr. Edwardsville Il Classes meet in Peck Hall room 0307
KCC=Kaskaskia Central College - 27210 College Rd. Classes will meet at the Wedekemper Board Room in the Lifelong Learning Center
SIC=Southern Illinois University Carbondale - 1435 Douglas Dr. Carbondale Il Classes meet in room 101 in the Safety Center
CCA=Coles County Memorial Airport - 144 Airport Rd. Mattoon Il Classes meet in the 911 Building at the airport
EFF=Effigham Armory1206 West Temple Avenue Effingham, IL Classes meet in the armory classroom
OCC=Olney Central College305 North West Street Olney, IL Classes will meet in the Automotive Technology Building which is behind the main campus
WVC=Wabash Valley College - 2200 College Dr. Mt. Carmel Il Classes will meet in Main Hall room 101 on the WVC campus.
FCC=Fairfield Community College - 2 Frontier Dr. Fairfield Il Classes will meet in Boyles Hall
SWC=Southwestern Illinois College - 2500 Carlyle Ave. Belleville Il Classes meet in the Main Complex room 1411